Monday, April 20, 2015

Songkran and Transferred to Chiang Mai!!!

Elder Landon J Watkins Week 97
Week One in Chiang Mai

Monday, April 20, 2015


Hey everyone!

As you guys already know I'm in Chiang Mai now! This last week was actually pretty uneventful for the most part, but it was also pretty good! As you know last Monday we played Songkran or the water festival it was way fun and we had a great time! I think last year was better because there were more people in Nongkhai even though Roi Et is a lot bigger city. It was still super fun though! 

  


Tuesday we spent the majority of the day packing and then that night the Stokers had us over for dinner for the last time; she made us lasagna, garlic bread, and apple crisp; it was soooo good!

Wednesday we spent all day on a bus to Bangkok. It took nearly 10 hours (it usually only takes 7 hours) to get there, but there was tons of traffic because Songkran was still going on. It was alright though we got there and ordered some McDonalds to the house and slept in Samut Prakarn and I got to visit that house again; it was cool ha-ha!

Thursday was transfers it was way crazy and I was super surprised! I thought I'd be moving to Bangkok for sure which I was supposed to actually. Then right before the meeting started President Senior switched me at the last minute. I was supposed to be serving in Don Meung with Elder Sukhan, but he switched me to Chiang Mai!  Not sure why, but I'm happy here; it’s way awesome! We got on a train that night which was supposed to leave at 8 pm, but it was broken so it came way late at 10:30 pm. It's around a 13 hour train ride, so we made it here around Noon on Friday. We got to the house and it was filthy so the first thing I did was clean the bathroom so I could shower and then I got our room all cleaned up and organized; so now it's good!

We've just been trying to find our way around town and find people.  It's kind of weird. There has been very few baptisms here which is weird because usually the Zone leader areas just have a ton. Literally we have hardly any so we have to just find investigators like crazy. And if you have no RC's we've got to baptize them right?

So there are two branches here in Chiang Mai and we go to both of them. There is a bunch of tourist and white people that also come to the branches.  So we just translate for 6 hours ha-ha and it is way hard, but it's okay; it's a good time. I can't believe how many members here can speak English though! We were able to get two new investigators at church yesterday who are pretty awesome. We have two other investigators that will be baptized next week they are the daughters of a Less active member that was just rescued and guess what; they are twins!!! I'm going to be able to help twins get baptized I've always kind of wanted to do that! :) It's sweet though our district had 4 baptisms yesterday. One of them was Elder Wiset Khanakam (who is the first Thai 70) 77 year old sister; it was so awesome. President and Sister Senior came so it was a very special day!


The members here are awesome and it is great to be around the Saedan family (Elder Saedan was Landon’s companion in Nong Khai) since this is where they live, I'm way happy and excited to serve here; it's going to be great! :)

That's about it though for this week; love you all, have a great week!

Love,
Elder Landon J Watkins

No comments: