Monday, January 20, 2014

A Little Bit of Everything this Week!!!

Elder Landon J Watkins Week 32
Week Five in Nong Khai

Hey Everyone!

This was a good week! First I'll talk about our baptism! Her name is Ice and she is 22 years old. She has been an investigator for about 7 years now. One of her friends who learned with her was baptized then, but she just never did. So she studied in Bangkok and things like that over time. My first English class she was just a random girl who we knew wasn't a member, but we weren't sure if she was interested in the gospel. So I got up and grab her number and we just started teaching her. Come to find out she was learning in Asoke with the elders there last transfer, which is way weird because they should have referred her up to us if they knew she was moving. So we ended up just teaching her everything and she was like, Hey teach me more about the commandments and the gospel; I'm ready to get baptized. When we were preparing her for her interview on Friday and we were like, so why do you believe in God and she was just straight up; because I have received my answer, I know the Book of Mormon is true, Joseph Smith Restored the gospel and we were like okay, whoa she is good; so we put her in for an interview and she passed. She was baptized Saturday and confirmed on Sunday. It was way awesome though! She even gave us a referral for her friend Taaw. Who is way ready to get baptized, but her family doesn't agree with it. We taught her about prayer. We are like, will you pray? She is like, yeah I will try if I remember; we are just kind of like oh great ha-ha. Because whenever someone says they will try it means they aren't going to doing it. She ended up sending us a text in the middle of the night and shared her experience with us. She said she was asleep and had a nightmare and then woke up terrified, so she decided to pray for the first time and she said that she was instantly relieved and felt good and slept great the rest of the night. She told us that she received her answer that Heavenly Father is here with us. It was really awesome.


Okay, now it’s time to recap the week! So for p-day we went bowling which was way fun. I did okay, not as good as last time, I couldn't get my spin down, but it was alright. After w were trying to find the Villa Market in Udorn, which is a market where you can find American stuff, so after arguing with this Tuk Tuk driver for 10 minutes that one existed; we just were like okay, we will just walk and find it ourselves. We knew there was one for sure since Elder Hart told us there was. He is the senior couple in Udorn. We found and it was so awesome, except I was way sad because they were out of Cherry Coke and “real” Mountain Dew, but they had Dr. Pepper it was expensive and plus I didn't recognize the logo on the can, they must have changed it. So I didn't buy one, but I'm wishing I had, next time we go down I will be though. I bought some Cheddar Ruffles for 100 baht which was awesome deal only about 3.50 in American money. Spicy Nacho Doritos were 200 baht, too expensive for me. I also bought some American shampoo since I was almost out of mine. They have a lot better things like that there which aren’t too expensive and way worth it. It was a successful trip that is for sure. 

Tuesday was the usual. District meeting and Swenson’s before English with some inviting in between. There were only 10 people English class which wasn't too good, but it probably was because I wasn't teaching this week I guess? Ha-ha just joking I do like teaching English, it is fun! 

Wednesday was kind of sad we went to Swenson’s and had an ice cream cake with Brother Gang before he left for America. But he will be coming back to Thailand every three months so if I stay this next transfer he will be coming up again to Nong Khai and visiting us. He is a good guy! We did lots of inviting again on Wednesday.


Thursday we did weekly planning and did more inviting and that is when we ended up in this random field by the train tracks. It was way funny we were just cruising around exploring inviting and ended up in that field and so my companion is like, lets have some fun for a bit and take some pictures so that is where all those sweet pictures came from. 



Friday we went and did service at a members house Bro. Somlak who is hilarious and speaks pretty good English because he lived in London for a while. We cleaned up his yard and driveway for him so it looked good. He made us Tuna fish sandwiches which are usually okay, but just way delicious over here in Thailand. They even tasted similar to my own Mom's. After we had Ice's interview and taught her friend while she was in the interview, it was way good. Then we ended up going to Khon Kaan University to go invite and find people. We ended up getting stuck there with no way home because all the vans ran out earlier. Finally after about an hour and a half a Tuk Tuk finally came and got us. The guys name was Whiskey, it was a crazy ride back into the city and when we finlally got there the Tuk Tuk just dies and won't start so after the guys pull us for like 100 yards; we said okay, we are done with this ride. We are just going to walk. It took us about 45 minutes to get home and then we had to get our bikes. It was quite the experience. 
 
This Turkey is at a members house and has been in this tree both times they have gone there...quite the sight to see a turkey in Thailand.
Saturday was Ice's baptism after we had an activity with all the members at the church and we all went and got dinner together and ate “milk” which is what they call going to get a treat. It is like hot chocolate things. I know it sounds weird, but that is what it translates to ha-ha. 

Sunday was church as usual. We only had 52 people which was kind of low. After church we had branch council and then taught some lessons the rest of the night. Today for p-day we are just going to try and play some basketball, I think. Which should be fun. Have a good week everyone! Love you all!!!

Love,

Landon

No comments: