Monday, June 30, 2014

A Threesome in Samut Prakan!

Elder Landon J Watkins Week 55
Week Ten in Samut Prakan

Monday, June 30, 2014

Well, where to even start; this whole week has been just crazy!

First I'll start with transfers! Monday we found out that I would be the only one staying. The other two elders would be moving and Unsworth was finishing his mission so... after our usual Tuesday of being busy with District Meeting, Swenson’s, and English class people all saying goodbye, it was crazy. But for English class we had a really good turn out; 21 people with some new students so that was cool. Anyways, we got another call on Tuesday from Elder Meeker who is a senior couple in the office saying my companion needed to go to renew his visa which is all the way up in Cangwatthana. It took us 2 hours to get there and an hour back and then my companion had to pack up his stuff Wednesday. Usually transfers start around 10:00 a.m. but we got a text message around ten that night saying transfers were at 2 p.m. We had a member taking us all up at seven in the morning so we just got there way early.


We went to Que Pasa before and ate some Mexican food!!! Finally we had transfers. We had 17 missionaries going home and only 8 new ones, so the amount of missionaries we have is going down. The last 3 transfers we've had more go home than come in so we are expecting a big shipment here soon. It was way cool though when President Senior was talking about the missionaries that were finishing he had everyone raise their hands that had ever been companions with that person and share something they learned and like about them. I got to share about Elder Unsworth; he is the best trainer and friend I’ve made on my mission, I'm going to miss him for sure! Finally we got to transfers and my name pops up on the screen with Elder Savage and Elder Kettavong! I was just shocked ha-ha because we are in a threesome. There are only a few threesome right now, but 5 Thai missionaries will be coming in 3 weeks, but I don’t know what in the world is going on with that ha-ha! It is funny because the transfer before I came here we had 6 missionaries in Samut Prakan, then last transfer I came and we had 4 and now we are down to 3 which is nuts. Now we are the only 3 working out of 3 area books and we have a lot of Recent Converts which makes so many to teach; it is unreal!


As for my companions; Elder Savage just moved out of his Greenie area, he has been here for 2 transfers now (about 4 months). He is way tall ha-ha and he makes me look tiny…he's 6’ 5”. I'll get pictures and send them to you this coming week. He is from Logan, Utah and he is 21 years old. He was a soldier for 3 years before his mission and was in Afghanistan for 9 months last year. Get this…he is an Apache Helicopter Mechanic so that is way cool and he is only 21! Elder Kettavong is from Laos he is 19 and has been a member for about 2 years. He was a member about a year when he left for his mission so he is a pretty new convert for the most part he is way funny and his Thai is unclear because he mixes it with Laotian since the languages are so similar. He has been out for 2 months less than me about 9 months in country and me almost 11. So I guess it is my time…I'm officially senior companion! I thought I was district leader too for a minute, but they have combined us with the Bang Na District which is cool so now we will go up to Bang Na every Tuesday for District Meeting.  As far as piano goes I'm back in my position as Branch Piano player. I just need a branch that has a person that is a member that plays so I don't keep testing my luck with waiting for a new missionary to come in! So spoiler alert I played the piano for sacrament on Sunday, but it wasn't too bad because I get to pick the hymns here :))) 

Saturday our branch mission leader asked us to help him do service at his work again so we went and built more of a garden and planted some stuff this time besides move dirt! It was way fun and really we helped them get a lot of work done. Service is a lot more fun as a missionary I tell ya ha-ha! Back in the day doing some of those projects on Saturday morning I never had the best time or attitude, but as missionary I'm trying to do as much service as possible because it takes your mind off all the other stuff we does as missionaries and a little break to get some good manual labor in! These feelings will probably go away though when I finish though, sorry Dad ha-ha! Just joking, I am sure that fence is waiting for us to finish it in the backyard! After that we went to Brother Oo and Sister Tik (not the investigator) wedding reception. It was in Bang Na; it was way cool and just fun to support them. It also good for the two new elders to meet the members in the branch! 

Yesterday was wild too because it was their first Sunday so they had to share their testimonies. I forgot to mention earlier had gotten a call from the branch president asking me to speak on Sunday for 15 minutes. I completely forgot until Saturday morning .So along with having to play the piano and speak in sacrament you could say I had a bit on my plate ha-ha! Luckily I wasn't too stressed out...Connor didn't rub off on me too much ha-ha. We had 53 people at church. We were able to get 21 other lessons just with Friday and Sunday inviting this week so 21 new numbers we have some potential investigators I can see coming for sure! 

Now for why I'm emailing late we went to the crocodile farm with the whole zone to get to know each other better. 

That's all I got for this week love you all have a great week! Sounds like Unsworths homecoming was good wish I could have been there too, but it's all good!

Love,
Elder Landon J Watkins


No comments: